Herne Bay / UK
February 5, 2016 marks 100 years since the founding of the Cabaret Voltaire in Zurich, and thus the beginning of Dada.
To mark the occasion, Cities and Memory: Dada Sounds marks a century of Dadaism by applying the techniques and practices of Dada to field recordings from around the world, bringing a Dadaist approach to the concepts of sound, place and memory and creating a new, Dada-inspired sound world.
Explore the Dada Sounds on the sound map below, and in the playlist.
The project features:
- 28 countries, taking in everywhere from Iceland and Canada and from India to Vietnam.
- Iconic Dada locations including Berlin, Paris and the very doorstep of the Cabaret Voltaire in Zurich.
- 77 sound artists, musicians and field recordists taking part from across the world, each bringing their own interpretation to the project.
The sounds use a huge range of Dada-inspired techniques to reimagine the sounds, from collage and abstraction to sound poetry and pieces based around the lives and experiences of some of the key figures of Dada.
Examples of techniques and approaches include:
- Introduction of extinct languages including Ubykh, ancient Assyrian and Gothic;
- Reimagining sounds using specially-made Intonamuri machines;
- How to Make a Dadaist Field Recording – a rewriting of Tristan Tzara’s method How to Make a Dadaist Poem;
- Multiple sound poems, written by artists themselves or drawn from Dadaist history;
- Pieces bases around the work and lives of key Dada figures including Hugo Ball, Tristan Tzara, Kurt Schwitters and Francis Picabia;
- Pieces inspired by Orson Welles, David Bowie, Duke Ellington and myriad other sources.
Contributing sound artists come from locations all over the world, as far afield as Colombia, Brazil, Canada, Finland and Australia.
THE ROARING FORTIES is a temporary FM radio and online... More...
Le Sonar Primitif, émission radiophonique imaginée et produite par Morgane... More...
Crush-test, monthly mix by Cristof Salzac, one of Bordeaux's finest DJ
A couple of weeks working with vingage synths and making use of the top range st
Visual representations of the 'full circle' from chance photographs, tra
Le Jardin de Recherches Musicales est un festival de performances et créations r